Saturday 19 June 2010

The zip-away tote bag - a prototype

I've just finished my prototype of this zip-away tote. It looks OK but I think the fact that it is lined makes the pouch when zipped really bulky. So pictures first - here is the tote zipped away into it's own little pouch.



Unzipping the pouch reveals the bag within ...



Here it is unzipped fully and laid flat ...



And here is the tote. I think using webbing for handles was probably not the smartest of ideas if one is trying to reduce bulk. They can be rather bulky. I could also reduce the length of the straps - that would cut down on the bulk too.



And here you can see the curved bottom of the bag ...



The finished bag measures about 11 inches wide, 5.5 inches deep at the widest point in the middle of the oval base and 12 inches tall. The handles are about 21 inches long. Perhaps they don't need to be quite so long.

I'm going to make a second one I think but this time, I will make it a single layer bag, I'll use an encased seam to join the body piece together and perhaps use a facing at the top edge to encase the ends of the handles. I think I might also make slightly narrower and somewhat shorter fabric straps. That should reduce the bulk when zipping the tote away.

Do you think a single layer bag body makes for a less sturdy bag? I suppose if it's an occasional use tote bag, it would not need to be lined and the handles wouldn't need to be quite so long either. What do you think?

Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Would you sell me one, please!

    Also - I've been trying desperately to track down a decent looking bag that will take my new massive 17.3" work laptop and having massive difficulty. :/ Would you be interested in making one for me xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Steph. Maybe ... see your FB wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I think a single layer of fabric should be fine as long as the fabric is a decent weight. Could you substitute wide twill tape for webbing to reduce bulk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cam. I'm using quilting cotton - it should hold up I think. Ooo - didn't think of wide twill tape. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.