Wednesday 8 February 2012

My Creative Space

Hello friends! My creative space is rather crowded this week with 3 projects on the go simultaneously.

First up is the crocodile stitch hood. This is going well. So far, I have finished the cowl part and have just started working on the hood. The pattern is made up of two parts which will be stitched together in the final finish. This is the finished cowl ...



And this is the beginnings of the hood ...



I had not worked with skeins of wool before - otherwise known as hanks. When I started the cowl, I just snipped the bits of yarn holding the hank together, found one end and started crocheting. Bad move! I soon found myself having to unravel and untangle myself ever so often. Hugely annoying. Thankfully I got to the end of the cowl and decided to spend a bit of time unraveling the messy skein and rewinding it into a centre-pull ball which you can see in the photo above. This is sooo much better to work with. Now I know, I have starting planning a DIY yarn swift project involving a recently purchased cheap lazy susan from Ebay. The idea is to make something that works like this. Hopefully, this will enable me to wind my skeins into balls quickly and easily. I'll keep you posted on that particular project when I get it started.

Back in the space ... up next is a small project I've wanted to do for a while now but just had not gotten around to. The project involves this stack of folded cartridge paper ...



I'm going to try to turn this stack of paper signatures (each sub-stack is called a signature) into a little handbound journal. Somewhere in the depths of my wardrobe is an offcut of some mauve-coloured suede leather. Perfect stuff for a cover for the journal. I'll keep you updated on the progress of this one later.

And finally, based on this fabulous tutorial, I am almost finished making Missy Moo a Rapunzel wig for Book Character day at school on Friday. Here she is trying it on for size. The end of the wig finishes right by her heels. It actually just sits on the floor by her heels.



I still need to weave in a dozen or so little pink roses and tie a small wrist strap onto the end of the braid to help her keep the thing off the ground when she is running around school on Friday. She is extremely excited about Friday and can't wait to show her fun wig to all her friends.

There are a couple of tee-to-tank refashions in progress somewhere around here to. Busy busy busy! Just how I like it!

Find out what else is happening in other creative spaces around the world over at the home of creative spaces here.

Have a creative day, friends.

7 comments:

  1. wow! you have been busy. Love the crochet work and I can just imagine how proud your little one will be wearing her wig for book day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the hand bound journal- can't wait to see how that turns out. Your crochet looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the wig - she's going to have such fun!

    A yarn swift is a great idea. I've never made one, but every time I have a skein that needs making into a ball I think about it. On the whole though I don't mind the work of winding the yarn into a ball ... it's quite therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome wig! Love your crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The crochet is great, and I'm intrigued by how you're getting on with the swing hook. I bought one out of interest, but it doesn't really suit my grip at all. There's always a chance that someone in one of my classes will like it, though, so it's going to be sticking around for a while.

    LOVE the wig! What a fab idea - she's going to be the envy of her classmates for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats some beautiful needlework on that hood!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hood is looking beautiful, can't wait to see it finished! Good on you having a go at book binding, I'll be really interested to see the results, theDottyOne did some bookbinding recently, I don't know if you saw her post?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.