Wednesday 30 May 2012

Two more journals with pen holder closures

I briefly showed you these journals in a previous post recently. Here are a few more photos of the two journals with the pen holder closures. Both are slim 120-page journals bound in fine leather with a 'pebble grain'. I bought the two hides - one in black and one in a vibrant lime / apple green - from Ebay. I especially love the green.

Here's the first of the two journals. The anchor strap for the pen holder was cut from a grey pebbled leather. So in case you think your eyes deceive you - they don't! It is a different colour.



Here is the back of the journal and the spine.



I used manila card postcards with a campervan print to support the leather cover. These two new hides are a little on the thin side - roughly 1mm thick. So they do need a bit of extra support - otherwise they'd be flopping all over the place. Can't have that now, can we?



Here is the green one. I incorporated star-shaped shell buttons into the stitching on the spine. Aren't they sweet?



Here is what it looks like from the front.



I found these great flora and fauna (and cat) postcards in Paperchase last weekend and thought they would go really well with the green leather. These postcards are a little thinner than the manila card one so I glued them onto some textured cardstock for additional support.



The black journal has joined the others in my stash awaiting new owners. The green one is mine (*strokes it gently whispering in a super creepy voice "My Preciousssss"*) ... all mine!! I actually thought it might be a good idea to test-drive one. I think when I get to the end, I can simply cut the stitching, remove the old (filled) pages and insert new blank signatures. No reason why it can't be done.

I've just finished one of the two journals I am making as my little nod to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee next week. The other one is in the early 'fabrication' stage ... ie cutting, folding and sticking ... and hopefully will be finished by the weekend. I will then post them up and will give one away to a lucky blog reader. Stay tuned for the giveaway at the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful Ady! And I can totally see why the green one is yours - love the buttons; nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. using postcards for support - and to add a fun design - is a great idea!
    have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.